SURPRISE AZ - FEBRUARY 23: Chris Dwyer #67 of the Kansas City Royals poses for a portrait during Spring Training Media Day on February 23 2011 at Surprise Stadium in Surprise Arizona.. (Photo by Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images)
A simple question: Is Royal starting pitcher prospect Chris Dwyer good? That's not a nuanced way to look at it, but maybe it's worth using a shovel rather than a fork to filter through this one. Now, keep in mind, I'm a guy living in an apartment on the east coast, I don't have tons of information to work with. This is where we can lean on one another and find answers, because I know many of you follow this stuff closely. Because I must be missing something.
- Very good stats through 2010. Numbers at Idaho Falls are insane (15.6 K/9, 8.3 BB/9) but he was very good at Wilmington in 2010. Of course, who isn't?
- Had some good things happen at NWA in 2011. Decent strikeout numbers (8.0 K/9) but the walks issue came back (5.0 BB/9).
- Was a 4th round draft pick in 2009 and earned BA's scouting blessing in 2011, ranked as the #83 prospect in baseball.
- Throws the baseball with left hand.
- Was seemingly pretty ineffective at AA in 2011. In his second season (more or less) at AA, he was hit pretty hard, walked too many batters, and gave up too many runs.
- Walks have always been an issue, he has a career 4.6 BB/9 walk rate, in the lower levels of the minor leagues. In 2011, Dwyer walked 5.0 BB/9 at AA. What will happen when he faces guys who can hit off-speed stuff?
- Will be 24 next season.