All week we've been announcing the winners of the major awards as determined by the bloggers here at SB Nation. Like Hosmer in the ROY race, we actually have a dog in this fight. As we noted earlier this year, Alex Gordon turned in a season worthy of down-ballot votes for MVP.
Results after the jump. Can you handle the drama?
Here was my ballot:
- Ellsbury (7.2 bWAR, 9.4 fWAR)
- Bautista (8.5 bWAR, 8.3 fWAR)
- Pedroia (6.8 bWAR, 8.0 fWAR)
- Kinsler (5.4 bWAR, 7.7 fWAR)
- Gordon (5.9 bWAR, 6.9 fWAR)
- Cabrera (7.1 bWAR, 7.3 fWAR)
- Sabathia (6.8 bWAR, 7.1 fWAR)
- Verlander (8.5 bWAR, 7.0 fWAR)
- Gonzalez (6.9 bWAR, 6.6 fWAR)
- Zobrist (5.1 bWAR, 6.6 fWAR)
The biggest flaw with my ballot is the absence of Curtis Granderson (7.0 fWAR), which honestly I can't explain. Just an oversight, as he definitely be in there somewhere. I don't feel like I even gave Gordon a homer boost, but my 5th place ballot was higher than any other ballot cast. When you look at the WAR numbers -- which frame but do not totally dictate my voting -- you see that Ellsbury and Bautista are really a notch above everyone else, with Verlander perhaps just below, depending on how you evaluate his huge bWAR number. Then there's a group of players, including Gordon, that can be placed in all manner of different orders.
It should be fascinating to see who wins the "real" voting.