I am working on a formula that will take a player's stats and come up with the amount of measurable GRIT they are showing on the field. I am starting with position players first. These players get dirty, will sacrifice themselves and put the team first. Looking at the available stats, I decided to use the following stats to determine a player's GRIT score:
- CS + SB = It doesn't matter if you are successful, only if you attempted the stolen base and hopefully got dirty.
- HBP = Who cares if it hurts, losing hurts worse. Isn't that right Cano.
- SF + SH = Nothing shows you putting the team first like helping someone else along the base paths.
- GDP = Way to get your teammate out, sucka.
- BB + SO = Listen #$$%&, the object of the game is to hit the *^@@% ball !!!!!!!!!!!!111
- HR = Look at me, I hit the ball out the park. I am so great. Zip it.
I had to add some weights in and got the following equation:
GRIT = (.5*(cs+sb)+2.5*hbp+sf+sh-gdp-.20*(bb+so)-hr)
First here are the numbers for the 2010 season (min of 100 PA):
As whole it stand up pretty good (David Eckstein was #3 overall) and here are some notes:
- Pierre probably gets too much credit for his steals, but he also led the league HBP. No power and great contact skills leads him to being the 2010 GRIT chmapion
- Jason Kendall at #9 is top Royals. Did we really expect less?
- I really expected Bloomquist to be higher, but he is becoming a shell of his former gritty self. 13 attempted steals and 3 sacrifices just won't cut. Also no HBP. Looks like Dayton trade him off just as he was getting soft.
- The Royals locked down 3 spots in a row, 329 to 331. Dayton has gotten rid of 2 of those players. Betemit days seemed numbered.
- Billy Butler was destined to be last on the team with all the GDP and lack of steals
- No real surprise with Getz as the leader. Sacrifice baby.
- Cabrera the least GRITTY. Home runs and double plays everywhere. I can't believe some one so weak is batting second.
- The lack of home runs and double plays and actual stolen bases has moved Billy Butler off of last place .... for now.
- Pena over Treanor. Dayton's going to be mad.
- Hosmer will never be on this list. Gods aren't gritty, that is why they are Gods.