Teams are kicking the tires on Heath Bell, a great guy who spends quality time with his family every chance he gets. In fact, Bell moved his family to San Diego to live year round because he is able to get his special needs child into one of the best schools possible. Bell is a family guy first, and has his priorities where they belong.
Soria's recent bout of ineffectiveness gave us all a scare. There were talks of how short lived a solid closer's career can be and there were talks of how we missed the window to deal him. He is on a team friendly contract that many teams would love to have. Soria has been a great asset to us as Royals fans and makes sure we get our few wins nailed down. That being said, we have our closer in waiting in Aaron Crow. Crow is not the only option, but probably the top runner. Having numerous candidates to be the closer in waiting is a great thing. Not many teams have the ability to look through several options at that position. It makes me think back to when we had some guys named Car Ram Rod and Nunez in our bullpen and we knew that once we got to the 7th/8th/9th we would be solid. I'm afraid that we look over these guys to easily and write them off as the next closer. The truth is, we need several high leverage relievers of that caliber. And we are developing them this year and it feels great.
But that doesn't answer the question of what to do with Soria. We can deal him and his team friendly contract in the aftermath of the Heath Bell deal as someone will miss out and be looking. People tend to overpay for the save stat and Joakim still has significant trade value. Leo Nunez and Fransisco Rodriguez are also on the block according to rumors this and last week. We can assume that Soria made it through his bout of ineffectiveness and came out on top. This shows he has the ability to get through his valleys and we can hold him for the remainder of his contract. It's probably to early to tell what he will be in the deep future. Will he be a Hoffman, Rivera, or a BJ Ryan? We don't know.
The options are simple. Trade, hold, or wait.
If it's me, I hold onto him. Now, that doesn't mean I don't test the market and if I get an offer that I can't refuse, I make a deal. But for now, let's sit back and watch. The fear is that we'll hold to long and his value will be reduced either by the market changing or him collapsing. But it's risk and reward, and it's worth the risk right now.