The Royals reached one-year deals with both second baseman Chris Getz and pitcher Felipe Paulino, avoiding arbitration with both players. Getz, who slugged a career high .360 in 2012, signed a one-year deal worth $1.05 million. In three years with the Royals after being acquired for Mark Teahen, Getz has hit .255/.310/.301 with 0.7 WAR. He has made 887 plate appearances as a Royal, the most in club history for a player with no home runs (second is Jason Kendall with 490).
Felipe Paulino also signed a one year deal worth $1.75 million. The 29-year old posted an amazing 1.67 ERA in seven starts with the Royals before being shut down for Tommy John surgery. The deal represents a slight pay cut, and Paulino expects to join the Royals after the All-Star break. Since being acquired from the Colorado Rockies, Paulino has a 3.55 ERA in 27 starts with the Royals.
The deadline to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players is 11 p.m. tonight. Players that are not tendered a contract can become free agents. The Royals lone remaining arbitration-eligible player without a contract is Luke Hochevar.
In other Royals news:
- The Royals offered a two-year $26 million deal to Braves pitcher Ryan Dempster, but have dropped out of the bidding.
- The Royals made a one-year $4.5 million offer to pitcher Scott Feldman before he signed with the Cubs
- Discussions between the Royals and the Mets for pitcher R.A. Dickey are still at a "preliminary stage." The Mets are still negotiating a contract extension with Dickey for themselves.
- Jair Jurrjens is likely to be non-tendered by the Braves, and looks destined to be a Royal.
- Fangraphs has some Rule 5 possibilities for Thursday's draft. The Royals select eighth.
- Clint Scoles at Pine Tar Press does not want to trade Wil Myers, but lays out some other possible trades to improve the club
- Denard Span isnow out of the division.
- Derek Jeter is getting fat.
- The Powerball Jackpot numbers for the winning ticket in Kansas City matched the jersey numbers of notable Royals players.
- Noted Royals blogger and Chicago dermatologist Rany Jazeryli will be onClubhouse Confidential on MLB Network tonight at 4 CT.