Go ahead and try to run. - Jason Miller
So it is time to see who is clutch.
A few days ago, I asked for our great readers for their input on some intangible features (clutch, heart, coachability, etc) for Royals hitters. Today, it is time for the results. Besides, looking at the results, the same survey is available for the Royals pitchers still on the team from last season.
First off, here are the results for the players ranked by the sum of the categories. I will get to the shift, height and weight data in a bit. The smaller the number, the better the ranking.
|Name||Clutch||Hustle Fearless||Media Reports (clubhouse presence, coach ability)||Playing Smarts||Tough/Heart||Overall Feelings||Total|
- Sal does seem to have the Perez-ence needed to lead the team. He led 4 of the 6 categories and the overall total. Alex Gordon was a close second.
- David Lough had 3 of the lowest scores with scores near 3.0 with each one. With Lough not getting much playing time, he got a lot of '3-Dunno' answers. His overall low score seem an artifact of people being unfamiliar with him.
- Jeff Francoeur got 2 of the lowest scores in Clutch and how we feel about him. He is by far the most polarizing figure on the team. I believe it stems from the team's undying love for continuing to pay/play a unproductive player.
- Overall, these hitters, besides Jeff, seem to have a good rap with us fans.
|Weight (lbs)||Height (in)|
- Not many of us believe Perez only weighs 200 lbs by about 30 lbs.
- MLB has Gordon's and Hosmer's weight about 15 lbs higher than we guesstimated.
- With the heights, Francoeur's is the one off the most by almost 2 inches with Cain and Perez just behind.
I plan on continuing this survey at the end of every season and with single player surveys at various times during the season like when fans have had a chance to get the feelings on a new player. The goal is to see if intangible traits actually help to lead to better production and wins. Finally, take a few minutes and fill out the same survey on the Royals pitchers. Thanks for your time as always.