If the Royals are playing Crazy Eyes is playing (Mandatory Credit: Kelvin Kuo-US PRESSWIRE_
Ned Yost likes to shuffle the lineup and the batting order. In 21 games, the Royals have used 13 different lineups and 17 different batting orders. Yost has yet to employ a single batting order more than twice this season, or use the same lineup more than three times.
Nevertheless, amidst all this churn, three things have been certain:
- Eric Hosmer will play first base
- Alcides Escobar will be at shortstop
- Jeff Francoeur will be in right field
Hosmer, Escobar, and Francoeur have all played every single inning at their position this season. They've started every game, and finished every game.
Other usage notes:
- At catcher, the Royals have almost equally balanced the playing time between Quintero and Pena, as Quintero has 11 starts to Pena's 10. Quintero has 97 innings played in the field and 41 PAs, while Pena is at 89 and 41.
- At second, Betancourt has 11 starts, Getz 10, though their innings played is a little closer, at 95.2-91.
- In CF, Mitch leads a group of four players with 91 innings. He's followed by Cain (37 and not moving), Dyson (36 and climbing) and Bourgeois (22.2).
- Amongst relief pitchers, Yost has employed Crow and Mijares each 11 times, leading the team. Collins and Herrera have made 9 appearances, followed by Broxton, with 8. Prior to his injury, the Royals made sure to get their Holland fix, using him in 7 of the team's first 13 games.