Who will be the next Sam Runion?
Baseball America's Best Players Available:
1. SS Tanner Rahier (California HS) - Aggressive gamer with unorthodox techniques that divides scouts. "Pete Rose" attitude who likes to drive the ball the other way. Needs to develop power.
2. OF Anthony Alford (Mississippi HS) - Blazing speed and decent power, but is committed to playing football and baseball at Southern Mississippi.
3. RHP Ty Buttrey (Rhode Island HS) - Very tall, but already 19. Can hit 96 and throws a knuckle-curve but has trouble with command.
4. 3B/RHP Carson Kelly (Oregon HS) - Probably a position player with a nice line-drive swing and average tools.
5. RHP Mitch Brown (Minnesota HS) - Four pitch repertoire and can hit 90 on the gun. Korean-American so you know he's awesome.
6. SS Nolan Fontana (Univ. of Florida) - Great plate discipline, hit nine homers for the Gators. Solid defender, should be a safe bet, but limited upside.
7. C Wyatt Mathisen (Texas HS) - Inexperienced behind the plate, can play IF as well. Great arm, good swing, and terrific work ethic.
8. RHP Walker Buehler (Kentucky HS) - Potential for three plus-pitches. Can hit low 90s on the gun. Extremely thin, needs to build up frame. Vandy commit.
9. LHP Hunter Virant (California HS) - Throws in the high 80s, but deceptive delivery. Really tips his curveball with slow arm action. Nice changeup. 6'2'' kid could increase velocity with more bulk. UCLA commit.
10. LHP Alex Wood (University of Georgia) - Tommy John survivor with unorthodox delivery who can throw in the mid-90s. Above-average changeup, but needs to work on his breaking stuff. Terrific numbers in a tough conference. Scouts divided on whether he's a starter or reliever.
We begin at 11:00 Central with Bud Selig dazzling us with his charm and wit.