Well, what a long day and here were some highlights.
First is here an update from yesterday.
Now onto today. I am still working with the FanGraphs group.
- I got a full media pass from the Indians (thanks SBN) with access to the back fields and the club house. I mainly hung out with David Laurila doing interviews before the game.
- I watch the conference basketball tournament a little. Cincinnati has some ugly ass uniforms.
- I talked to Chris Perez before the game. The best I can describe Perez is Kansas City Keith with a 94 mph fastball. Heck, I even shook his hand without stink palming him.
- Highlights from Terry Francona's press conference I found a bit interesting..
- Trevor Bauer would probably not start in majors unless the team is totally desperate. He needs to work on his command and consistency.
- The team will shift as needed to take advantage of available data..
- Scott Kazmir is ready to go. A team has gotta take advantage of their breaks sometimes.
- Talked to Mike Chernoff, the Indians Assistant General Manager, for a bit mainly about injuries. Good guy.
- Mariners top prospects Tiajuan Walker and James Paxton threw a B game. Mike Newman and J.D. Sussman will have more on them at Fan Graphs at a later day.
- Gotta love the catcher cam.
- Dice-K still has a ton of media following him.
- Jason Giambi gave a great interview where he said the following (more coming at Fan Graphs from David L.)
- He only watched video on pitchers vs. hitters similar to him. He figured there was no reason to see how a pitcher did against hitters in the 9th position.
- Not taking a walk is a selfish decision. A team guy takes the walk. The whole teams gets helped with runners on base and a limits arsenal from the pitcher. since he can't throw the low pitch.
- He started hitting with the George Brett/Charlie Lau philosophy by keep his head in. As he has got older, he has had to change quite a bit.
- He didn't care if he struck out, he need to hit the ball hard to get on base since he was slow.
- Before the game, I went and said hi to the local media. Kaegel asked who I was (great). Dutton seemed to at least act like he knew who I was and hoped to talk later.
- The game was uneventful in general. Perez still has a arm and picked a runner off 3B. Frenchy is still slow (4.7 sec to 1B). Guthrie is still meh.
- I talked to Royals front office members Jin Wong and John Williams for a couple of innings. Not a ton of useful information was exchanged. Jin Wong was surprised I didn't apply for the analysis position when I actually did. I am pretty sure I will be working for another team soon.