I'm really stupefied that Mouse Droppings hasn't yet been sent down. He is absolutely killing this team right now, and I think some time in Omaha might help him get back on track. Apparently, the Royals don't see it that way for some reason.
I can see the argument that there is nobody really to take his place. Tejada would break down if he played every day, and Elliott Johnson is probably not going to give us any more value than Mouse Droppings would over the long-term.
I see the in-house options as follows:
- Keep Mouse Droppings and hope he turns things around;
- Send him down and implement a platoon with Tejada and Johnson;
- Send him down and call up someone like Giavotella to throw in the mix.
Right now, none of those are particularly appealing, so I wondered what type of trade options might be available to us. Assuming that we continue to play well, and we're over .500 and within 5 games of first by the ASB, perhaps a short-term rental would be an option?
I did a little bit of rudimentary research, and came up with some names. I tried to limit it to teams that I'm thinking will be sellers. I'm terrible at throwing out trade ideas, so I'll leave that to you all:
- Jordan Pacheco, COL, Bats R-27 years old and doesn't seem to be getting consistent playing time. Pre-arbitration, so we could have control of him for a few years. Seems to have some plate discipline. Was not great defensively last year at 3rd but that was only in 82 games.
- Kevin Frandsen, PHI, Bats R-31 years old and backing up Michael Young. Hasn't ever been a regular, seems to have some plate discipline but not much pop. Slightly below-average defensively but not by much. On a one year deal for only $850,000 and could probably be had fairly cheap.
Edwin Encarnacion, TOR, Bats R-Only 30 years old. Subpar defense and $19 million committed through 2015, but good power and takes walks. What we would have to give up would depend, I suppose, on how much (if any) in salary we would ask Toronto to eat.
So, a few options to consider if we are fortunate to be in that position, what does everyone think?