This game pretty much epitomized the season. Read on if you want to hear about it.
- It was your typical weird lineup out there.
- The Royals got a lot of hits tonight. Left a million guys on-base. Didn't score enough runs. Singles + steals isn't enough sometimes, because you have to keep hitting singles.
- Jose Guillen had a gigantic at bat in the 8th inning. Didn't come through. This isn't totally fair, as Jose had a decent game. Nevertheless it wasn't quite the huge surprise that the Yankees radio team made it out to be.
- Kendall had a passed ball that was relevant in the game.
- Willie Bloomquist did Wilie Bloomquist things.
- It felt like Bruce Chen was pitching good out there. I kept thinking, "he's hanging in there!" The bottom line is that he allowed 5 runs in 6 innings, and it could have been worse. Not good enough. That's been the starting rotation, save Greinke, all season.
Blake Wood isn"t that good. Never has been. For all the talk about Yost's magical work with the bullpen, there's no amount of stability or leadership or calming influence that's going to make Blake Wood effective. Not when he's not striking anyone out and frequently pitching with men on base.
- Royals lost.