Stranger things have happened, but the reality is that Chris Getz is the heavy favorite to break camp as the Royals' starting second basemen again this April. Sure, there will be mention of 'if Johnny Giavotella can hit enough' and 'what if Miguel Tejeda comes back as 2006 Miguel Tejeda?'. All talk.
Chris Getz will be the Royals' second baseman.
Like many things associated with Kansas City's upcoming season, if enough other things go right, the Royals can live with Getz at second. Eric Hosmer has to hit, Jeff Francoeur has to be better, Lorenzo Cain needs to be healthy...you all know the list.
Of the 289 players who have compiled 750 plate appearances or more over the last three seasons, Getz ranks:
- 285th in slugging percentage (.301)
- Tied for last in home runs (0 - tied with Ben Revere)
- 288th in isolated power (.047 - sandwiched between Revere and Juan Pierre)
- 281st in wOBA
- 231st in on-base percentage
- 250th in fWAR
- 32nd in slugging percentage
- 30th in on-base percentage
- 13th in batting average (threw that in for Ryan and Rex)
- 41st in isolated power
- 30th in wOBA
- 37th in fWAR