Chris Stewart. Lyle Overbay. Brennan Bosch. Chris Nelson. How can the Royals possibly hope to compete with large market clubs with stars such as these?
These aren't your grandfather's Yankees. Murderer's Row has been replaced by the pop-gun squad. And yet over a month into the season, the Bronx Bombers are in first place with the second best record in the league. How are they doing it?
Much like the Royals, the Yankees are relying heavily on good starting pitching. Yankees starters have a 3.61 ERA, not much worse than the Royals 3.41 starters ERA. The Yankees actually score fewer runs than the Royals, averaging just 4.21 runs per game, to the Royals 4.32. Their on-base percentage is nearly identical. However the Yanks have hit almost twice as many home runs (minor league free agent Lyle Overbay would lead the Royals with his five home runs).
The Yankees pythag is 18-15. The Royals is 18-13. The Yankees have also gotten to beat up on the Blue Jays (6-1 against Toronto) and Houston (2-1 against the Astros), although it should be noted the Royals also got to play Toronto and dropped two of three.
But the point is, these two teams are not that different, and the Royals should not be intimidated by a lineup featuring Jayson Nix on a regular basis. So go to it Wade Davis.
- Matt Klaassen (remember him?) looks at some players whose only real value was speed, which is kinda interesting considering Jarrod Dyson may be in for some more playing time.
- Could David DeJesus be a trade candidate to return to KC?
- Most WAR among hitters 2011-2013: 1. Miguel Cabrera 16.7
- Happy Birthday to not one, but two Royals catchers. George Kottaras turns 30 today, while Salvador Perez turns 23.
- The Star reviews food options at Kauffman Stadium sure to upset your cardiologist.
- KC is the second most redneck city in America according to Movoto. We proudly celebrate the fact we have friends in low places.
- Local columnist Yael Abouhalkah doesn't want Yankees fans to embarrass Kansas City this weekend. Is there anything worse than a Yankees fan who is not from New York? Yes, a Yankees fan not from New York who is also a Duke fan not from North Carolina. That is what is worse.
2. Ryan Braun 16.5
3. Ben Zobrist 15.4
4. Robinson Cano 15.4
5. Alex Gordon 14.8