Here we are in the third day of the SBNationwide sim--in which I am the General Manager of the Shadow Royals and most of the other teams are run by representatives from those other sites--and the Shadow Royals have been changed relatively drastically, remade in my vision. The Shadow Royals write-ups for the previous days can be found here: Day 1 and Day 2.
Here is a quick recap of what happened during the first two days:
Orders of business
- extended Qualifying Offer to James Shields, which was declined
- exercised Wade Davis's $7MM option for 2015
- bought out Billy Butler's 2015 club option for $1MM
- non-tendered Jayson Nix and Aaron Crow
- offered arbitration to the rest of the rostered arbitration-eligible Royals
- Ned Yost promoted to Special Advisor in Charge of Wild Game
- Brian Bannister hired as manager
- sent Jason Vargas and pitching prospects Christian Binford and Cody Reed to the Cubs for Edwin Jackson, Luis Valbuena and $4MM in 2015/$2MM in 2016
- sent Greg Holland to Red Sox for Allen Craig, prospect Brian Johnson, and $1.5MM in 2016/$3.5MM in 2017
- shipped Tim Collins off to Milwaukee for prospect Ariel Pena
- acquired Jordan Zimmermann and outfield prospect Brian Goodwin for a gaggle of prospects: Kyle Zimmer, Hunter Dozier, Ryan O'Hearn, and Ramon Torres
- sent Jeremy Guthrie, Omar Infante and $2.2MM in 2016 to Toronto for R.A. Dickey and his caddy/catcher Josh Thole
Free Agent Signings
- Luke Hochevar - three-year deal totaling $12MM guaranteed, some of which comes from a club option with a buyout; contract structured as follows: $2.5MM in 2015, $3.5MM in 2016, $4MM in 2017, $4.5MM club option for 2018 with $2MM buyout
- Luis Mendoza - split minor-league deal that becomes $700K if added to the 25-man roster
- Jonny Gomes - one-year deal for $2.5MM
- James McDonald - minor league deal
As we entered Day Three of the simulation, word trickled in regarding the Shadow Royals first move of the day.
Free Agent Signing #5
The Royals agree to terms on a one-year deal with left-handed reliever Joe Thatcher in the amount of $1.3MM.
Free Agent Signing #6
The Royals agree to terms on a three-year deal with Jason Frasor. But I Don't Know What To Do With Those Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs will get $1.75MM in 2015, $2.25MM in 2016, and $2.5MM in 2017.
Free Agent Signing #7
The Royals sign Scott Baker to a minor-league contract.
The 25-man roster currently looks something like this:
|First Base||Eric Hosmer||5.2||Arb-3||Arb-4||FA|
|Second Base||Luis Valbuena||3.1||FA|
|Third Base||Mike Moustakas||2.7||Arb-2||Arb-3||FA|
|Left Field||Alex Gordon||14||13.25*||FA|
|Center Field||Lorenzo Cain||2.3||Arb-2||Arb-3||FA|
|Right Field||Jarrod Dyson||1.3||Arb-2||Arb-3||FA|
|Utility Infield||Christian Colon||0.5||0.5||0.5||Arb-1||Arb-2|
|Starting Pitcher||Jordan Zimmermann||16.5||FA|
|Starting Pitcher||Yordano Ventura||0.5||Arb-1||Arb-2||Arb-3||Arb-4|
|Starting Pitcher||R.A. Dickey||12||12***|
|Starting Pitcher||Edwin Jackson||7^||9^||FA|
|Starting Pitcher||Danny Duffy||2.6||Arb-2||Arb-3||FA|
|Relief Pitcher||Wade Davis||7||8^^||10^^||FA|
|Relief Pitcher||Luke Hochevar||2.5||3.5||4||4.5^^^||FA|
|Relief Pitcher||Kelvin Herrera||1.5||Arb-2||Arb-3||Arb-4||FA|
|Relief Pitcher||Louis Coleman||0.7||Arb-2||Arb-3||FA|
|Relief Pitcher||Joe Thatcher||1.3||FA|
|Relief Pitcher||Jason Frasor||1.75||2.25||2.5||FA|
|Relief Pitcher||Francisley Bueno||0.5||0.5||Arb-1||Arb-2||Arb-3|
That brings the Shadow Royals total payroll to $98.6MM of the allotted $101MM. Added so far on minor league deals are Scott Baker, Luis Mendoza, and James McDonald, though other offers are out there.
A quick recap of the prospects gone is as follows: Kyle Zimmer, Hunter Dozier, Christian Binford, Ramon Torres, Ryan O'Hearn, and Cody Reed.
The prospects that have come back in trades are: Brian Goodwin, Brian Johnson, and Ariel Pena.
I'm not quite done, but I'm pretty close.