It's Friday, so it's time to get off[-topic].
1. Denis Johnson's new novel The Laughing Monsters is set in the lawless international intelligence/terrorist backwaters of Africa, a perfect backdrop in which to place a novel but a terrifying place when contemplating traveling there. What place would you be most hesitant to travel to, and why?
2. What are you most afraid of in this existence?
3. As a grown-ass man, I've taken a shine to various potent potables and culinary delicacies that I'd never have eaten as a punk-ass kid or even as a young man transitioning to grown-assdom. Hell, I just started drinking gin in the past year. And I'd never have eaten escargot up until a few years ago. What food would your 13-year-old self be shocked to find that your current self likes?
4. It should go without saying that we're all still fascinated by the Second Boer War, but other than that and the nearly equally fascinating Crimean War, the world seems to have a variety of different wars in which they are interested. What war most fascinates you?
5. With Ryan Reynolds signing on to reprise the titular role in the Deadpool spin-off--one that seems to be heading down the right path assuming the director gets to see his vision through (see test footage below)--it would appear perhaps Ryan Reynolds will finally get a chance to star in a vehicle well-suited to his skillset. The creative talent involved--the director is a VFX guy who did both the embedded test footage and the amazing opening credits sequence for Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo--seems to have a vision that would honor the much-loved and generally weird comics. What vehicle did you always feel would be ideal for a maligned, underappreciated, or misunderstood figure?
Boner #1: Johnny or Willie?
Boner #2: Charlie or Buster?