It is that time of year again, when we see how amateurs do at negotiating for free agents and making trades. This is the 2015 MLB Off-season Simulation Project, where we take 30 fans to represent each team and have them work out trades and sign free agents. For a look at last year's simulation, look here.
Here are the ground rules:
- We rewind to the end of the regular season. The assumption is your GM has resigned and been replaced. The new GM is free to set their own organizational philosophy.
- Each team has a "recommended" budget. We're not concerned with the 40 man roster.
- Players with no-trade clauses cannot be traded (this includes players with 10-5 rights). Players with limited no-trade clauses can be traded, but I reserve the right to veto it if I think the player would not accept the trade.
- Minor leaguers can be traded, but must be specified. No Players to be Named Later. Cash may be dealt, but the amount must be specified.
- You are free to frontload or backload contracts, although player preferences are for contracts not to be backloaded. Anything ridiculous will not be accepted. You can offer player, club, mutual, and vesting options.
- Teams up against the luxury tax threshold will have their contracts average annual value (AAV) applied to their budgets.
- Top offer will typically be taken, although there may be exceptions if a player has a preference on where he wants to play (big market over small market; older vet may want to play for a "winner.")
- I am not going to negotiate long-term deals for players that are not free agents.
Sunday, November 15, 7pm CT - Simulation begins - teams can trade, negotiate/sign free agents. All club options for players must be picked up or declined. Declined options go into the free agent pool.
Monday, November 16, 9am CT - Qualifying offers on free agents due.
Tuesday, November 17, 9am CT - All arbitration-eligible players must be tendered or non-tendered. Non-tendered players go into the free agent pool.
Wednesday, November 18, noon CT - Simulation ends
Negotiate for all free agents by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org. All official transactions will be listed here (try to keep back-and-forth conversations out of this thread so we the transactions don't get cluttered, thanks).
A spreadsheet of each team's financial situation is here.