Lorenzo Cain returned to the lineup Friday night after missing seven games with a wrist injury. However, he was in noticeable pain with limited use of his left wrist, basically swinging with one hand. Today, speaking with Fox Sports Kansas City’s Joel Goldberg, Lorenzo Cain admitted that it is “highly likely” he will be out the remainder of the season.
Just talked w/Lorenzo Cain. Considering shutting it down for the year. Says that's highly likely. Was basically swinging w/1 arm last night— Joel Goldberg (@goldbergkc) September 10, 2016
However after the game, a Royals spokesman stated that Cain had received a stem cell injection that didn’t work, and the team wanted to wait a week to see how it responded. When this was repeated to Cain, he responded awkwardly.
The former All-Star said nothing for a few seconds before declining to answer whether he thought he would return.
"I've got to talk to some more people because we talked about something earlier," Cain said. "I'll have to get back to you."
Today, Cain and the Royals got on the same page.
Lorenzo Cain met with Ned Yost this morning and they appear to be on same page: Both said he will shut down for a week and re-evaluate— Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) September 11, 2016
Cain said his comments yesterday were made out of frustration.— Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) September 11, 2016
Cain has been dealing with the wrist injury for weeks, saying it flared up in late August. He received cortisone injection last week during the Yankees series, but he missed over a week of action before rejoining the lineup last night. He admitted to Kansas City Star reporter Rustin Dodd that the injury would likely affect him the rest of the season.
“Honestly, I don’t feel like I have any of my power,” he said. “I feel like each at-bats, I have about two good swings. But I need to be in the lineup.”
Lorenzo Cain was not in the starting lineup for Saturday night’s game against the White Sox. Cain is hitting .287/.339/.408 with 9 HR 56 RBI in 103 games this year. He missed nearly a month in July with a hamstring injury. If he is out for the year, it will be his fewest amount of games played since 2012. The 30-year old outfielder is signed through 2017 but is eligible for free agency following that season.