Well here is your chance to play General Manager (hey, the job might open up soon, and you can put this on your résumé when you apply for opening!). What would you do this off-season if you ran the Royals?
You have eight players eligible for free agency - Melky Cabrera, Trevor Cahill, Lorenzo Cain, Alcides Escobar, Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Peter Moylan, and Jason Vargas.
Here are a few decisions you must make:
- Do you pick up your half of the $10 million mutual option on Mike Minor? He will become a free agent if you decline, or if he declines, and he has a $1.5 million buyout.
- Do you make Qualifying Offers to any free agents? You can only make Qualifying Offers on players who spent all season with the Royals.
- What trades do you make? It is hard to say who is available, but what are you looking for? Who is on the block?
- Here is your payroll situation for 2018 and beyond. The team has about $120 million in obligations for next year already.
- Here is a list of eligible free agents.
- Here is the organizational depth chart.
Give me your best ideas. What direction are you taking this franchise?