It is that time of year again, when we see how amateurs do at negotiating for free agents and making trades. This is the 2017 MLB Off-season Simulation Project, where we take 30 fans to represent each team and have them work out trades and sign free agents. For a look at last year's simulation, look here.
Here are the ground rules:
- We rewind to the end of the regular season. The assumption is your GM has resigned and been replaced. The new GM is free to set their own organizational philosophy.
- Each team has a "recommended" budget. We're not concerned with the 40 man roster.
- Players with no-trade clauses cannot be traded (this includes players with 10-5 rights). Players with limited no-trade clauses can be traded, but I reserve the right to veto it if I think the player would not accept the trade.
- Minor leaguers can be traded, but must be specified. No Players to be Named Later. Cash may be dealt, but the amount must be specified.
- You are free to frontload or backload contracts, although player preferences are for contracts not to be backloaded. Anything ridiculous will not be accepted. You can offer player, club, mutual, and vesting options.
- Top offer will typically be taken, although there may be exceptions if a player has a preference on where he wants to play (big market over small market; older vet may want to play for a "winner.")
- I am not going to negotiate long-term deals for players that are not free agents.
Here is the schedule:
Sunday, November 5, 7PM ET - Simulation begins
Sunday, November 5, 10PM ET - Options must be decided on
Monday, November 6, 9AM ET - Qualifying Offers must be made
Tuesday, November 7, 9AM ET - Non-tenders must be made
Wednesday, November 8, noon ET - Simulation ends
This is the thread where I will announce official transactions, so please try not to clutter the thread up with much discussion, use this thread for your discussions.