LHP Brian Flynn (0-1, 40.50 ERA) vs. RHP Forrest Snow (0-1, 9.00 ERA)
First Pitch- 2:10 CT
Tempe Diablo Stadium, Tempe, Arizona
Coming off a walk-off win yesterday in Surprise Stadium over the Padres, the Royals (4-3) will head to Tempe to take on the Angels (4-3) for some Friday afternoon baseball.
Plenty of positives came of Thursdays victory, one being Jorge Lopez throwing two scoreless frames with two strikeouts in his first spring outing of the year. Lopez, who most understand his uncertainty in the rotation, completed his first true step into solidifying the fifth spot on the staff. Prospect Nicky Lopez continues to impress with his .462 batting average as he rang a two-run ground rule double to tie the game in the fifth inning. Rule-5 draftee Sam McWilliams tossed two scoreless innings out of the pen while touching mid-90’s, surrendering just one hit and one walk to go along with one strikeout. Lastly, the on-base machine Bubba Starling tallied two walks, including the walk-off walk to seal the deal in ninth inning. In nine at-bats, Starling has knocked in five runs with two home runs, all in posting a 2.194 OPS.
Today’s Quick Hits:
- Jorge Soler returns to the lineup after being scratched from Wednesday’s lineup
- Arnaldo Hernandez was replaced by Brian Flynn as today’s starter
- Right field competition still rather stale. However, Bonifacio leads in at-bats (11) and average (.273)
- Josh Staumont will pitch at some point today
- Mondesi bats leadoff today. Yost said he likes the power, switch-hitting element of him leading off (per Jeffrey Flanagan)
Kansas City: per @FlannyMLB
Los Angeles: per @maria_torres3