In case you don’t know, the Royals are in a bit of a skid, losing their last nine games. A loss today would give them their first 10 game losing streak since, well, July of last season. The Royals haven’t done a lot of winning lately.
They have, however, done a lot of competing in ball games and even leading ball games.
The Royals have been in the lead or tied in the 7th inning or later in 7 of their 11 games— Cody Tapp (@codybtapp) April 11, 2019
Here’s a quick look at those 11 games:
- March 28: 5-3 win
- March 30: 8-6 win
- March 31: 6-3 loss, never led
- April 2: 5-4 loss, led 4-3 in the 9th
- April 3: 7-6 loss, led 6-4 in the 8th
- April 4: 5-4 loss, led 3-2 in the 5th
- April 6: 7-4 loss, led 4-2 in the 7th
- April 7: 3-1 loss, never led past the 2nd
- April 8: 13-5 loss, whatever
- April 9: 6-3 loss, never led
- April 10: 6-5 loss, tied in 8th
For those counting at home, six of Kansas City’s nine losses have come within two or fewer runs, including four one-run losses. The Royals have also given up 39 of their 67 runs in the 6th inning or later.
So, if you’re a glass-half-full person, at least they have been in games and have scored runs at a somewhat-not-awful pace. They are 0-4 in one-run games, which will surely regress to the mean. But yeah, if you’re a glass-half-empty person, they have lost their last nine games, gotten absolutely nothing from hitters not named Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, and Alex Gordon, and have a pretty brutal schedule through mid-May.
With that being said, let’s play some baseball! Here are your lineups for today’s action.