The page has turned now to 2020. Not only is 2019 in the rear view mirror, but so is the last decade. A new year, a new decade, awaits.
And over the last few weeks, many of has have spent a series of holidays with friends and family, happily or unhappily taking part in traditions. These traditions and locations run the gamut from ordinary to not so ordinary.
Therefore, this Friday’s off topic thread will revolve around those two topics: new year, new decade, old traditions, new traditions. We’re at an odd moment where we’re both celebrating the past and hoping for a new future. May old acquaintance be forgot, etc.
- What’s your favorite holiday memory? Lots of holidays blend together, but some stand out. We’re talking about Thanksgiving through New Year’s here.
- Facebook and Twitter has been aflutter with people posting about their great achievements this past year and decade. That’s all well and good, but not everyone’s year or decade was great. What was one small achievement that you accomplished but that you’re proud of nonetheless?
- The video game Super Baseball 2020 came out in 1991 and was ported to the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo in 1993. It predicted a somewhat tongue in cheek baseball simulacrum with robots and armored players (men and women). What’s one of your favorite predictions made by a previous work that has been hilariously incorrect?
- I’ll be honest, New Year’s Eve in Time’s Square seems like a very cold and very miserable way to spend your time. But to each their own. How do you prefer to ring in the new year?
- It’s easy to be cynical in 2020. It’s a little harder to dream and to hope. What’s one of your hopes, either personal, professional, or otherwise, for our time’s roaring 20s?
BONUS: Peppermint or Spearmint?