Tampa Bay Rays (10-8) @ Kansas City Royals (9-7)
RHP Michael Wacha (1-1, 4.20 ERA) vs. RHP Jakob Junis (1-0, 1.50 ERA)
First pitch — 7:10 p.m. CT
Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri
- Junis has faced the Rays five times in his career and he is 4-1 with a 2.28 ERA in 23 2⁄3 innings.
- Over his last seven games, Carlos Santana is slashing .391/.481/.783 with two home runs and six RBIs.
- With a win today, Kansas City would capture its 10th win of the season. It would be the first time the Royals have had 10 wins in April since 2016.
- After Thursday’s off-day, the Royals embark on a nine-game road trip — facing Detroit, Pittsburgh, Minnesota. Those three teams have a combined record of 19-29 (.395 Winning %).
- As reported yesterday, Adalberto Mondesi’s oblique strain is listed as a 6-8 week injury with the shortstop in Week 3 of recovery. If the timeline is correct, the best case scenario is that Mondesi returns in mid-May. If he takes eight weeks for recovery, Mondesi would likely return in early June.