It’s time for a big international Royals roundup! Let’s start in LIDOM:
- Dairon Blanco has seen regular action in the outfield for Estrellas Orientales. He has made starts at all three outfield positions and hit .214/.250/.238 in 45 plate appearances.
- Nate Eaton has not appeared in a game since November 7 and will no longer be included in this section.
- Diego Hernández has played six games in center field for Gigantes since the previous roundup, going 6-22 with two doubles and a triple. In 77 plate appearances he’s hitting .243/.273/.351.
- Steven Cruz has not pitched since November 10 and will no longer be included in this section.
- Daniel Lynch IV has entered the fold for Leones and has made four starts. Across 16.2 innings he has a 2.16 ERA with 20 strikeouts and 10 walks.
Moving over to the Venezuelan Winter League (LVBP):
- Max Castillo is rolling for Cardenales. In 18 innings across five appearances, he has allowed just one run while striking out 16 and walking five.
- Maikel Garcia got off to a torrid start for Tiburones de La Guaira alongside old friend Alcides Escobar and NL MVP Ronald Acuña Jr. In 23 plate appearances across five games, he went 9-16 with three doubles, walking a whopping six times without striking out. That was last week, however, and for reasons unclear he has not played since.
- Edward Olivares has appeared in 13 games for Bravos de Margarita. In 56 plate appearances he has hit .315/.339/.482 with five doubles and two triples.
Going across the Caribbean to the Puerto Rican Winter League (LBPRC):
- Nelson Velázquez made his debut for Criollos de Caguas this week and has played two games. He has gone 3-8 with a couple doubles.
Finally, let’s cross the Pacific to the Australian Baseball League (ABL). This is a worse league than the three above so it’s lower level prospects involved, but at least they have a website with gamelogs. All four Royals down under play for the Brisbane Bandits:
- Jack Pineda has played three games, all at shortstop. He went 4-13 at the plate.
- Milo Rushford has started all eight games with four in left field, two in center, and two in right. He’s gone 8-30 with a triple and a couple stolen bases.
- Hyungchan Um has made six starts at catcher, going 2-20 with one of those hits leaving the yard.
- Wesley Scott has struggled with command in 5.1 innings out of the bullpen, walking seven batters while striking out four.
If you’re down about how Kansas City’s offseason is going, just remember that most of their guys in winter ball are playing poorly! Wait no... ok never mind take whatever you want from that.
Right-handed pitcher Emilio Pagán is signing a two-year deal with Cincinnati.
Right-handed pitcher Luis Severino is signing a one-year deal with the Mets.
Infielder Joey Wendle is also signing a one-year deal with the Mets.
Right-handed pitchers Penn Murfee and Jackson Stephens are signing one-year split deals with Atlanta.
Making the Hall of Fame case for Shohei Ohtani.
What can we learn from Ohtani’s 2017 free agency?
San Diego Los Angeles Chargers have squandered the cheapest years of Justin Herbert.
Tiger Woods is planning to play one golf tournament per month next year.
Astronomers may have determined why spiral galaxies like our Milky Way are so rare.
Wolverines are to be protected under the Endangered Species Act.
Marine ecologists are using crabs to try to save Florida’s coral reefs.
The FDA has announced a “reasonable expectation of effectiveness” for a drug that could increase the lifespan of large dogs.
Your song of the day is Animals by Martin Garrix.